04 May 2006

Night's scent


Have you ever notice that at night the flowers smell more?
It's midnight and I just got back from work where the odours are horrible. I usually smell only fuel and exhaust of the means needed to push-back the aircrafts or to offload the baggage.
I finished work and took my bike to ride back home. It is a short way home,... some 1600 meters throught fields of wheat, salads, corn. But everywhere around there are flowers. The farmers usually have beautiful flowers around the fields; I think they are so much in contact with mother nature that appreciate the beauty of it.
Riding my bike at midnight with stars and the moon above, coming out of a noisy and bad smelling place, I dive into another world, where the noises are those of small animals, birds, and plants and the smell is king. Smell of wisterias, of liliac, acacia and others I can't recognise.
And a dog runs next to me following the fence of 'his' field... watching me... to let me know we are not alone.
Goodnight!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Beautiful!

I don't have too many scents around here, but there is an awful lot of stuff to hear at night -- there are bullfrogs in the pond and they have a great burr.

Margiana said...

I don't have a pond but lots of toads (is it correct?) doing their gra gra gra gra ...actually I don't know where they come from.:-)