06 September 2006

wedding.... it's all about somebody else!

I got this great chance to drive down to Rome by myself. Andrea left on Monday to Catania (Sicily) for work and he flew back to Rome the same night, so that on Tuesday we had time to arrange the last things together.
I love to drive by myself. I worked from 5.15am to 9.45 then went back home.... prepared Monocolo for a 2 days vacation from parents and the house and packed something, choosed cds and started driving through, Emilia Romagna, Toscana, Umbria and Lazio...
My soundtrack was Negramaro, Bruce Springsteen and U2. I loved it. Time to stay with me.
Everlasting music...good for my soul. Me and the road.... the nature seen from a small-fast-car on a tongue of autostrada.... during a special moment of my life....
Andrea is gone for a day. I miss his company for the trip but it is soooo long I don't take a ride by myself.
A long trip through Montana comes back on my mind.... pink rockies, cool waters running down the mountains... a sky full of stars and No Doubt and Dire Straits playing: I was happy!
So, as the notes play and the words go by I feel in peace: I AM GETTING MARRIED IN 10 DAYS!
And I'm not scared.... I actually really love it!
I am conscious of what I am going to promise and that makes me feel so free and productive and an adult... and other millions things I don't know how to explain.
I keep on driving.... and I feel relaxed or tired.... well both... I feel serene and almost ready to face my parents and relatives and to support them in what seems to be their business more than mine.
I get to my aunt's home and from there we go to the restaurant to fix the last thing. My mom is worried because the streets to go there are difficult and curvy.... and because some people may get lost..: no matter I already told her we're going to print maps and that there are also very clear directions on the roads.
Finished with the restaurant.
Yesterday we went to the (hopefully) last try of the wedding dress...the dress is still to finish. I can't believe it takes forever.... but I am not worried, I simply imagine the tailor needs her time to do it and she won't let me walk the aile of the church with my jeans on... if not she'll get killed by my mom.
Then... I had an appointment with the priest but he postponed in the afternoon so we had to go back to Ostia. My mom was getting crazy: 'the dress is still not finished and we still have to do lots of things.... flowers and church and priest and rings.....'. No matter if I am calm. Go to Ostia and talk to the florist for my bouquet (ok done)...then went home and eat lunch. After that Andrea and I went to the church and talked to the priest (done), then to the jewelry to buy the ring (done) then back home to sleep (done).
So we finally did everything but once back home the feeling is I did not accomplished anything because mom is nervous, and anxious and everything like this.
No matter you tell her to calm down, that we are happy whatever it happens, that we will be so few and friends and relatives that will be ok..... she doesn't care.
So I think that to be a bride-to-be consists mainly in trying to maintain the calm and to understand that it is all about somebody else's anxiety.... I just breath and think white and green and so it will be my wedding.
My mom is master in letting me think that:
- other's wedding were great;
- she won't cry because she did not cried at her own wedding;
- I am beautiful but I could head for more beauty.... (this is a weird topic: I have never claimed to be beautiful nor to expecially care for it... and I don't think how people can think you can be beautiful at your wedding.... usually you are dead tired, no sleep brings you black bags under your eyes and swallen eyes, usually stress improve the rate of your pimple and the colour of your skin is horrible unless you make those super expensive treatments..... moreover the period does all possible tricks to invite itself to your wedding with everything that concern his presence like PMS, swallen breast and water retention.... so that your wedding dress may not fits you like you thought).....
- everybody will look at you and see the results of your anchestors, so you better act good;
- people expects to eat well and a lot, feel good and have fun.....

....so and what if I want a simple wedding so that people can concentrate on the meaning of the wedding itself? Is it possible? Can a simple wish like this come true? Or maybe not.... this is a wedding and people knows everything about it!

No comments: