24 October 2007

Pumpkin fever!

Thanks to Miss Sarah who let me know this, I have been into a pumpkin fever in the last day.
Last week I bought a pumpkin ('zucca' in italian) to put in the vegetable soup I do from time to time...but this time I bought a bigger one... just in case my imagination would have needed it.
My imagination is not working properly lately so I rely on others to help me survive this period.
We don't cook a lot of zucca but I decided to give it a try and prepare great Pumpkin Ginger Nut Muffins Recipe. There is only one simple question I can't find an answer: what is for you American 'baking soda'? I use what I think is baking soda to wash the vegetables; into the refrigerator to absorb the bad odors... but I don't think we are talking about the same 'baking soda'. Moreover, is it possible to not use any leaven agents? The muffins where great but did not leaven enough.
So basically I did a zucca purée.. and today I used it to cook Pumpkin Soup with Smoked Paprika Recipe. I don't even know what a smoked paprika is... but I used regular paprika and it turned out a super-delicious-soup I enjoyed all by myself...since husband Andrea hates soups.
I warmly recommend you those 2 recipes... and if only I had the seeds I could have Toasted Pumpkin Seeds but unfortunately I bought half of a big zucca.
Thanks Sarah...

P.S. My Monocat is still sneezing and on friday I'll take him for a RX:-( hope there are no more bad news!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Isn't that website delightful? I have used lots of her recipes--delicious.

Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate--it is white and ... hmm. It's the stuff that fizzes when you pour vinegar on it.

I also keep a box of baking soda in my fridge to soak up strong odors and use it as a paste to gently scrub dirty pots and pans, etc.

It is different from baking powder, but you can "make" baking soda by mixing baking powder with cream of tartar.

Both are leavening agents. Baking powder can get old and then fail to raise the batter properly.

Is that any help? I'm sure you already know most of this; it's just the language thing.

Yay! I hope the measuring cups are coming in handy for these recipes. Good luck!

Margiana said...

Sarah... the measuring cups and spoon are simply great, without them it would have taken me much more time to do everything! Thanx again.
As for the baking soda, well... I don't know any Italian who has ever used it as a leavening agents.. that's why it was so strange to me. So you are telling me you use baking soda for the muffins, isn't it? And yes, that site is delightful.
Another thing... can I copy your cooking book for some collegue at work? Of course we won't pay for the copyright!!! Baci e grazie.