26 June 2008

Censorship!

Finally I am able to read something. Unfortunately in my dark days at home vomiting, I wasn't even able to read. So I took with me in Rome a bunch of Internazionale, my favourite newsmagazine, and I am now able to update on the world's political, social, science, cultural latest.
I am reading about Lebanon and its almost civil war, about McCain, about Italy and its rising racism, about the eruption of vulcan in Oriental Java in June 2006 and about Mikheil Saakashvili the Georgian President.
Other than this I am reading about our new political situation and the power of Mr Berlusconi and his properties of television channels and newspapers that invariably bring to a selection of news... which in my opinion can recall censorship.
Censorship is something that is out of my personal beliefs... of course I grew up in a democratic country (or at least I have always believed so) where freedom of speach and expression has been in the Constitution.
During the '80s we were pretty Americanized here in Italy... Springsteen and "Born in the USA" was the soundtrack of a life stretched out toward the freedom of an American Lifestyle, of a self made man, of a freedom of being whatever you want without social restrictions and conventions. Madonna was wearing everything she wanted and Cyndi Lauper was dressed up and made up in the colours she wanted.
I thought that US was the place where everybody could just do whatever you wanted to.

During the years my thoughts changed and often I found out that old Europe was much more open minded than the new continent and had to formulate again my ideas of emancipated women or social conventions.

Not more than one week ago I was speaking with a friend of mine who, other than being a great Person is also an Artist, living and working in California.
She's pretty much into the Art Council of her community and is interested in letting people getting more and more in touch with any form of Art, being it sculpture or painting or whatever can be considered so.
And she told me that she has been a victim of this censorship... that I could not believe possible until she sent me this article and I remained with my mouth open.
If any of you is interested in the topic I invite you to read and leave comment (if interested of course) in the Ventura County Star article but also in my Friend's reply.
Critics are always welcome!

No comments: