12 January 2006

The 'new' slavery!

Slavery is still here with us... in our hypertechnological era, well-educated society. Is next to us. Your neighbor is a slave, your brother is a slave, your friend may be a slave.... and I'm not talking about slave of alcohol, drug, sex, videogames or such. I'm talking about the use of slaves to get work done!
I am a slave. I work for €5,30 gross per hour, and I have a shift of 10 hours 8-18. Hey! Of course I have a 10 minutes break every 2 hours and half an hour at lunch! But of course if I get up more than twice (excluded lunch break) everybody is very upset... and of course I can choose the days I want to work with a week in advance but... hey I am a slave!
I digit the name of thousands of people everyday, their monthly use of gas, water, and litter... those that are death, those who inherited the house, those who get married and those who lose their shelters... Of course I don't know their histories... but I can imagine.
I can play my mp3 and so I invent their lives! This is the only free thing.
Thanks God none of my living-hours are worth 5.30 euros minus taxes... but I need those money and there I work. And if I don't do this job, somebody else will do the same stinky job for me... Because there will always be a desperate like me in need of those darned 5.30€.
I shouldn't complain because this slavery keeps me employed and because I'm healthy and 'young'. This is not a complain but a statement on what our well-educated, generous and free society is producing. People that may be educated or may improve their education... people with energies and love to give and now slaves of tiredness, slaves of poorness, slaves of our own frustrations.
I understand now why poor people is usually poorly educated too: I come back home with an headache, after spending the whole day at work, probably eating only a sandwich lovingly prepared at home... I breath the other's smell: 20 individuals all packed up in a room with windows overlooking one of the most pollutted streets of Bologna. I arrive at home and the only feeling I have is that of having a shower to clean away all the 'dirty' of the working day. Need something to eat and need sleep. No lust for books anymore... no... "why don't we go to the theatre tonight".. no "what the heck is on tv tonight"...nothing.
But of course our Prime Minister Berlusconi is soooo happy because 1.270.000 new jobs have been created and the unemployment rate dropped from 9.4% to 7.5%... I guess they employed only center-right wing voters.

5 comments:

annette said...

i have had horrible jobs in the past where i slaved away all day and didn't make very much money to show for it. why is that the hardest jobs are also the lowest paid? being a teacher, i get paid more than i ever have, but so much gets taken out for taxes and other things that they don't tell you about when you become an educator. plus, i'm still trying to get my full certification and that is a huge chunk of my paycheck each month. don't let your job take your identity!:)

Margiana said...

thanks for the advice in the last sentence.Until sep. 30th I had a job I really liked: ramp agent at Bologna airport. It's hard work but I really enjoyed the challenge. I was payed enough and I could ride my bike to get to the airport since I really live close. But.. the company is suffering a major economic crisis and 40 something of us were laid off.It is a bit confusing to lose your job (it was 3 years I was doing it!) in a day. That is why I feel so down. I know I'll recover sometime soon but deep inside I'm still hoping to go back to that job! Great thing to be a teacher. I used to work with children too... but this is another story!

annette said...

bonjorno (no idea how to spell it!) haven't heard from you in a while...what's been going on?:)

Margiana said...

lots of things happening... tell u more next week...went to Rome to visit my family and came back yesterday with my dad who wanted to visit me for a week...so I'll be busy... by the way Buongiorno... ciao ciao

Margiana said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.