17 February 2006

Social Security

Just came back from the Social Security Office to apply for the unemployment benefit.
It is an experience! It is an experience to enter in the tall building, ask for information and receive always half of it! - "Go to the 4th floor and then ask." - "Thank you sir."
Step up until the 4th floor and then take the number and wait for your turn. I entered there at 10 and got out at 13. Meanwhile I had a look around. Most of my unemployed collegues where foreigners who did not know what to do. Nobody speaks their languages... most of them where from North Africa, Philippines and China. The only office-employee did speak an heavy slang from Naples. So there it is the global village where we started all speaking our own languages and trying to help each other out to understand how we had to fill the tons of forms needed to get the benefit. It is so incredible how we can all understand each other once in need. I was speaking italian and a very elementary french with a Moroccan Lady who needed help to fill the form for the maternity benefit and I also understand a Philippine guy who was trying to get his unemployment benefit since he was laid off from the cleaning company that works in the Fair District. By the way, in that place there were no differences.... teachers, shop-girls, office-workers, ramp-agent, cleaners, carpenters... no matter where we are from... no matter the colour or race or differences of histories and social extraction, we were the same... unemployed.
At the very end: I spent 3 hours of my life in an office crowded of unemployed people, feeling good for the help gave and received but depressed for the circumstance.
Then once back home I switched on the TV to watch the news (I'm trying to quit this habit and will succeed soon) and find the horrible, disgusting face of the italian number one ass Mr Berlusconi and some of his staff telling me that Italy has never been so rich than now and that the unemployment rate is very low....
And the sick thing is that people will vote for him.
I'm disgusted.

You know what? I'll go to the hair stylist to give a shape to my head... it's almost I year I don't go!!

No comments: